Monday, January 17, 2011

I turned my back and lost my heart

So I was riding the other day[imagine that] Gathering cows with some friends of my dad's and some lady asked what Stormy's breeding is. I think I must of sat there like an idiot until I finally managed to stammer out some BS about it not being anything special.
I am pretty ashamed. If she woulda been Shining I could of rattled off her whole pedigree on her dam's side and most of the important stuff on her sire's. Actually I could that with most of our horses, if not all of them. I don't know why I didn't pay more attention to Storm's.
Actually I guess I do, from when I first started trainiing her I knew it wouldn't be permenant. Get close enough to her that she can trust you, make sure she knows you won't hurt, but don't get attached. Thats the ways its always been, don't get to attached to the cows you're going to eat them. Don't get to close to the pups once they're used to the cows they're gonna be given away... So it just came natural, its work, not bonding. Besides at the time I had the promise of a colt if her training worked out. A baby colt, which at the time training a colt from birth up was my dream. And some crazed gray 5 year old filly was not going to interfere.
But I underestimated the power her brown see-into-your-soul eyes could have on my hardened little cowgirl heart. While I taught her, she taught me to love her. All of her, every strange habit, all her weird little tricks The way when I was teaching her to flex she always would nudge my foot and how that developed into her doing it every time something worries her. Her wild fright of wire and anything that remotely resembles it. The way she loves to run just for the pure hell of it. The wild way she has when it comes to cows, and how much of a Quarter she is in the way she works them and loves it. How she'd rather prance then just watch. Through the past 5 or 6 years shes taught me to love her in all kinds of little ways and now my heart is totally lost to her. I think leaving her behind when I go to school in the fall will be one of the hardest things, she is my pretty shoulder to cry on and I know that with me going away Paul's gonna want her back and I am not ready for that...
She stole my heart only to be stolen[okay not technically] from me.

2 comments:

Lexa said...

Aw this was really sweet. =]

Lexa said...

Slash, AWARD! =]
http://trainer-in-training.blogspot.com/2011/01/awarded.html